This form is currently open ONLY to Black writers
Black lives matter. Black voices matter.
While our submissions for short and flash fiction are always free and always open, this summer we are offering fast response for free to Black writers. This form is for flash fiction up to 1,000 words.
We will respond to your piece within three weeks of submission. If we decline your work, we'll offer a few lines of actionable feedback.
We pay $100 for accepted flash fiction. To serve our aim of exploring the art of fiction, each published story includes an editor’s introduction as well as a craft essay (author’s note) by the writer. This essay will be requested upon acceptance.
We keep this page up to date with our efforts toward equity.
If you are a Black writer looking for free fast response for short fiction (short stories and standalone excerpts between 1,000 and 6,000 words), please use this form.
If you are not a Black writer and wish to send short fiction for a fast response, please use this form for fast response in exchange for proof of donation to an organization in support of Black lives.
If you are not a Black writer and wish to send flash fiction (fewer than 1,000 words) for a fast response, please use this form for fast response in exchange for proof of donation to an organization in support of Black lives.
We also offer full editorial feedback at rates based on guidelines from the Editorial Freelancers Association. Please follow us on Twitter for news of monthly free opportunities for Black writers.
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to: contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com
- This special fast response category for CRAFT Flash Fiction is only open to Black writers
- International submissions are allowed
- Previously unpublished fiction only
- Fiction only
- Please submit work in English only
- 1,000 word count maximum (for stories between 1,000 and 6,000 words, please choose an appropriate short fiction category)
- Up to three micros (fewer than 1,000 words total) may be submitted in a single document
- We review literary fiction, but are open to a variety of genres and styles—our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft
- We allow simultaneous submissions—writers please notify us and withdraw your piece if your work is picked up elsewhere; if you withdraw your work, you may submit another piece in the same genre
- We no longer allow multiple submissions—please send only one piece of fiction at a time, either flash or short, until you've heard back from us (see each genre for specific limits—short and flash fiction are both in the fiction genre)
- If your story is declined, we ask that you wait three months before submitting again to the same genre unless an editor requests more work from you
- Please, please, double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font
- Please send your story as a Word doc
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable)
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, or for any other reason
- Additionally, we do not tolerate discrimination in the writing we consider for publication: work we find discriminatory on any of the bases stated here will be declined without complete review
- Please do not submit work to this category if you are not Black