Editorial Feedback Platform
Need new eyes on your short prose?
We would love to work with you!
CRAFT offers editorial feedback on creative prose up to 6,000 words. We've carefully chosen a team of qualified editors to provide thoughtful critique. For each piece sent, you'll receive line-level marginal notes, as well as a two-page global letter discussing the strengths of the writing and the recommended focus for revision. While editorial feedback is inherently subjective, our suggestions will always be actionable and encouraging. Please allow up to twelve weeks to receive your feedback materials.
For your convenience and savings, we offer two options—single letters and triple letters. Rates are detailed below. Triple letter packages offer an 8% discount. This form is for triple letters only.
All work sent through this event will also be considered for publication in CRAFT. Should we accept your work, the feedback fee will be refunded.
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to: contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com.
Testimonials from Previous Recipients of CRAFT Editorial Feedback:
As a published author of 75+ academic and professional articles, reports, and two (academic) books, I have to say that David K. Slay's feedback on my fledgling short story "John Huff" was the most thorough, perceptive, and helpful feedback and writing coaching I have ever received. I am very grateful for their attention to detail, voice, and flow—something I craved as I continue my journey into this daunting genre. —Marjorie S.
I was so pleased with the feedback I received from Kyle Cochrun. His comments demonstrated that he understood what I was trying to accomplish with the essay and that he was 'thinking with me' as he closely read my draft. He didn't make a single comment that left me scratching my head—in fact, just the opposite. His feedback was like a private class in essay writing, and helped me see how to look at my drafts for unplumbed opportunities and to apply the strengths he identified to develop those opportunities. I've already completed the revisions and believe the piece is much stronger for his guidance. —Aggie S.
Rates for Triple Letters:
- Flash fiction / flash creative nonfiction up to 1,000 words (one flash piece or up to three micro* pieces totaling fewer than 1,000 words): $149
- Short story / creative nonfiction essay from 1,000 to 3,500 words (one piece): $199
- Short story / creative nonfiction essay from 3,500 to 6,000 words (one piece): $249
*For our purposes, micros should be about 333 words maximum apiece, please. Include all three micros in ONE document.
How you can help us when sending work for our review:
- Please send only .doc or .docx files if possible, so that we can use MS Word's Track Changes for our marginal notes.
- Kindly double-space and use Times New Roman 12.
- CRAFT Editorial Feedback is open to all prose writers.
- Please send fiction or creative nonfiction only.
- International submissions are welcome.
- Please submit work primarily written in English, but conceptually or stylistically necessary codeswitching is warmly welcomed.
- Please adhere to the 6,000-word-count maximum.
- If sending up to three micros, include all pieces in ONE document.
- Work that has received editorial feedback is not eligible for submission to CRAFT contests.
- We do not accept, review, or consider AI-generated work.
- We strongly discourage simultaneous submissions in conjunction with editorial feedback. If your piece is already under review by our team and you withdraw it, we will not be able to offer a refund. If you withdraw your piece before we have begun feedback, we will be happy to let you substitute another piece of equal length.
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, or for any other reason.
- Additionally, we do not tolerate discrimination in the writing we consider for publication. Work we find discriminatory on any of the bases stated here will be declined without complete review (you will be refunded, less fees).