This form is currently open ONLY to BIPOC and other mis- and underrepresented writers.
While our submissions for short and flash fiction are always free and always open, we are currently offering a fast response option for free to BIPOC writers and other historically mis- and underrepresented writers.
This form is for short fiction and creative nonfiction (short stories, standalone excerpts, and CNF essays) between 1,000 and 6,000 words, and for flash and micros (both fiction and CNF) up to 1,000 words.
We will respond to your piece within four weeks of submission.
We pay $200 for accepted short stories or longform CNF, and we pay $100 for accepted flash or micro pieces. To serve our aim of exploring the art of prose, each published story includes an editor’s introduction as well as a craft essay (author’s note) by the writer. This essay will be requested upon acceptance.
We keep this page up to date with our efforts toward equity.
We also offer full editorial feedback at rates based on guidelines from the Editorial Freelancers Association.
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to: contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com
- This special fast response category is open only to BIPOC writers and other historically mis- and underrepresented writers.
- International submissions are allowed.
- Previously unpublished works only.
- Please submit work in English only.
- For short fiction and longform CNF: 6,000 word count maximum.
- For flash: 1,000 word count maximum—please send only ONE flash fiction piece between 401 and 1,000 words.
- OR up to three micros (400 words or fewer each / fewer than 1,000 words total) may be submitted in a single document—this counts as ONE submission.
- We review literary fiction, but are open to a variety of genres and styles—our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft.
- We allow simultaneous submissions—writers please notify us and withdraw your piece if your work is picked up elsewhere; if you withdraw your work, you may submit another piece in the same genre.
- We no longer allow multiple submissions—please send only one piece at a time, either flash or short, until you've heard back from us (see each genre for specific limits—short and flash fiction are both in the fiction genre).
- If your story is declined, we ask that you wait three months before submitting again to the same genre unless an editor requests more work from you.
- Please, please, double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12-point font.
- Please send your story as a Word doc.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable).
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, or for any other reason.
- Additionally, we do not tolerate discrimination in the writing we consider for publication: work we find discriminatory on any of the bases stated here will be declined without complete review.
- Please do not submit work to this category if you do not identify as BIPOC or as a writer from another demographic who has been historically mis- or underrepresented in publishing.