Welcome to CRAFT
Please review our guidelines—we've added some limits in an effort to improve our response time.
Submissions for CRAFT Flash Fiction are open year round and offer payment of $100 for original work. This category is for flash fiction up to 1,000 words. See our short fiction options for stories between 1,000 and 6,000 words.
We are thrilled to be able to pay for published stories, and will be highly selective in our choices.
To serve our aim of exploring the art of fiction, each published story includes an editor’s introduction as well as a craft essay (author’s note) by the writer. This essay will be requested upon acceptance.
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to: contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com
- CRAFT Flash Fiction submissions are open to all writers
- International submissions are allowed
- Fiction only
- Please submit work in English only
- 1,000 word count maximum (for stories from 1,000 to 6,000 words, please choose an appropriate short fiction category)—please send only ONE flash fiction piece between 401 and 1,000 words
- OR up to three micros (400 words or fewer each / fewer than 1,000 words total) may be submitted in a single document—this counts as ONE submission
- We review literary fiction, but are open to a variety of genres and styles—our only requirement is that you show excellence in your craft
- We do consider reprints, however we are unable to pay for these stories
- We allow simultaneous submissions—writers please notify us and withdraw your piece if your work is picked up elsewhere; if you withdraw your work, you may submit another piece in the same genre
- We no longer allow multiple submissions—please send only one piece of fiction at a time, either flash or short, until you've heard back from us (see each genre for specific limits—flash and short fiction are both in the fiction genre)
- If your work is declined, we ask that you wait three months before submitting again to the same genre unless an editor requests more work from you
- Please, please, double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12 pt font
- Please send your story as a Word doc
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history (if applicable)
- We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, disability, family status, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation, or for any other reason
- Additionally, we do not tolerate discrimination in the writing we consider for publication: work we find discriminatory on any of the bases stated here will be declined without complete review