If feedback is closed temporarily, it will reopen the first of the next month.
CRAFT offers editorial feedback on short fiction (short stories and flash fiction) up to 6,000 words. We've carefully chosen a small team of qualified editors to provide critique.
For each piece sent through this editorial feedback category, we will return to the writer line-level editorial notes, as well as a global letter discussing the strengths of the writing and the recommended focus for revision. While editorial feedback is inherently subjective, our criticism will always be actionable and encouraging.
We intend to provide our feedback in a timely way, and hope to keep our response time under six weeks. We may decide to close this form in a given month once we have reached our editors' capacity to complete feedback that month. If this form is closed temporarily, it will reopen the first of the next month.
All work sent through this editorial feedback platform will also be considered for publication in CRAFT. Should we accept your story, the feedback fee will be refunded.
If you have questions about submissions, please send an email to: contact (at) craftliterary (dot) com
Our rates are based on guidelines from the Editorial Freelancers Association:
- Flash Fiction up to 1,000 Words (one flash piece or up to three microfiction pieces totaling fewer than 1,000 words): $59
- Short Story 1,000 to 3,500 Words (one short story): $79
- Short Story 3,500 to 6,000 Words (one short story): $99
How you can help us when sending work for our review:
- Please send .doc or .docx if you are able so that we can use track changes for margin notes
- Please double space and use 12 pt Times New Roman font
- CRAFT Editorial Feedback is open to all fiction writers
- International submissions (written in English) are allowed
- Fiction only
- Please send work in English only
- 6,000 word count maximum—short fiction only
- Work that has received editorial feedback is not eligible for submission to CRAFT contests
- We strongly discourage simultaneous submissions in conjunction with editorial feedback: if your piece is already under review by our team and you withdraw it, we will not be able to offer a refund; if you withdraw your piece before we have begun feedback, we will be happy to let you substitute another story of equal length